Every girl needs a bag full of goodies to get her through a week of SXSW. And for the bag itself? Longchamp, of course. Sturdy, lightweight, big, and waterproof. Here are a few key items constantly stocked in my bag:
- Badge: open sesame!
- Business cards: I have my work business cards and my Mini Moo blogger cards easily on hand. I’m not the best networker, but having interesting business cards can be a great ice breaker. (Want 10% off your own Moos?)
- iPhone 5: what did anyone do in the days before smart phones?
- SXSW GO app: SXSW has their own app that not only gives you the entire SX schedule and your customized version, it has maps of all the venues, a shuttle tracker, and built in social and networking tools like Twitter and Facebook.
- Twitter: there is no better way to keep up with the latest! Follow hashtags for the sessions you attend (or even the ones you miss) to get the best nuggets of info. Twitter is also a great way to find out about free food, drinks, and parties.
- Evernote: my favorite note-taking app that syncs to all my devices. I create a SXSW 2013 notebook and then a new note for each session. I even have a note dedicated to the people I meet so I don’t forget little details I might need later.
- Instagram: there is so much crazy branding going on at SX that the only way to document it is by photo.
- Umbrella: it rarely rains in Austin but somehow always manages it during part of SX.
- iPad & keyboard: the best way to take notes and live tweet your sessions.
- Car2Go membership: Car2Go is like a short-term version of Zip Car and every SX it proves to be a lifesaver. I don’t have to worry about finding or paying for parking downtown because I can just pop into whatever little Smart Car is nearby and then park it in a designated Car2Go spot around the city.
- Mints: you meet so many people in a day and are never sure when your next free sample will turn up… be prepared.
- Lipstick: a quick way to freshen up. I like to think lipstick makes me look a little less like a college student and more like a young professional. But maybe it just makes me look like a 13-year-old playing dress up…
- Coffee: you will need lots of it. Sessions all day, parties all night.
What do you always have in your conference-going bag?