This is a cost-effective ‘pantry recipe’ and also very easy to make. To cut down on time I used pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s instead of dry lentils, and you could probably make the rice ahead, too, as long as you reheat it.
My favorite thing about this dish is the combination of spices — so complex and delicious!
Mujadara: Lentils, Rice and Caramelized Onions
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2.5 cup pre-cooked lentils
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Put the rice on to cook and start chopping the onion.
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions to the skillet and cook until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water, cumin, cinnamon and salt and reduce heat to medium. Cook about 15 minutes or until onions are soft and browned, stirring frequently and adding 1/4 cup water halfway through cooking or if onions begin to stick to skillet.
- Heat lentils.
- Mix it all together and enjoy!